You can start without spending money
The monetary cost is also extremely low. If you have a computer with internet connection then you already have everything necessary to get started.
There are free programs like Audacity that will allow you to record audio and most laptops have built-in webcams to record video. Some media services also offer free storage or distribution, but this takes away some of your ownership over your podcast.
Improving Your Podcast With Equipment
You could buy any of the following items to increase the quality of your podcast (average prices current for 2013)
- Microphone (for improved sound): $20 – $100
- Webcam (for improved video): $40 – $100
- Domain and web hosting (for branding and control): $80 – $150 a year
- Media hosting (for media storage and distribution): $5 – $75
- Intro music: $1 – $500
- Professional voiceover: $50 – $1,000+
- Mixer (for co-hosts and/or sound effects): $50 – $600
Total minimum and maximum expenses: $20 up to Unlimited
Like I mentioned earlier, you probably have enough equipment to get started without having to buy a bunch of gear. Start small and make little purchases over time – there's no rush.
[pullquote]Learning the ropes of podcasting will also help you to make smarter purchasing decisions down the road to podcasting prominence.[/pullquote]
Want to get started?
Contact me by visiting the About page. Let me help you prepare your podcast for launch and reach iTunes' New and Noteworthy section.