Below is my list of the top places you should submit your podcast to gain maximum exposure and find a greater audience.
Submitting your podcast to these directories is free and can help you find a greater audience.
I recommend you at least begin with the first 5 as they are the largest, most popular places people go to consume podcast.
*This list was most recently updated in March 2018
Before you begin to submit a podcast to iTunes and other directories:
- You must have an RSS feed. (There is no such thing as “upload to iTunes”)
- Apple really REALLY wants you to call them Apple Podcasts. I'm only leaving the word “iTunes” in this post for the SEO 🙂
- Some directories accept your podcast very quickly, some may never respond
- Even after being accepted, you might not be found in their directory for 1-3 days
- Use a re-direct plugin or service, like PrettyLinks, to make it easy to share your podcast. For example: Tell your audience, friends, and your mom “You can subscribe to my podcast on Apple Podcasts by going to MoneyPlanSOS.com/iTunes.” (Go ahead – try it)
- You will see many of the sites below begin with SteveStewart.me/_________. Using a redirect like this makes it easier for me to communicate when helping my clients.
- Log into your Apple account via https://podcastsconnect.apple.com
- Enter your RSS feed (for example: A libsyn user would submit http://yourshowslug.libsyn.com/rss, replacing the text “yourshowslug” with your libsyn show slug)
- Click “Validate”
- Click “Submit”
BONUS! The following directories pull from Apple Podcasts’ API – so there is no action needed on your part:
Overcast, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Podcast Republic, iCatcher
Note: Artwork requirements are to provide a square image at least 1400×1400 pixels (but no more than 3000×3000 pixels), and the file size needs to be smaller than 500kbs. Use Tinypng.com to compress large files
- Create a profile at http://SteveStewart.me/submittostitcher
Note: Stitcher has some unique stats, so you might want to visit their Partners Portal every so often.
Also not that any follow up issues go to email@example.com
- Go to http://SteveStewart.me/submittotunein
- Click the “Submit Your Podcast” hyperlink in the paragraph.
Be prepared with:
- Podcast Title
- RSS Feed
- Logo (just use your square show artwork)
- Banner image (long, rectangular size – 1024×300 pixels)
- 3 genres/categories you want to be found in
To make updates to your TuneIn listing, go to https://help.tunein.com/how-do-i-update-my-podcast-or-program–H1ax0B7_f
Note: If you are a libsyn customer (use Promo code FINCON for your first month free), you can submit from inside your account (under Destinations). Many other hosting providers like BluBrry and Simplecast allow you to submit right from inside your account.
If not, then fill out their submission form at http://SteveStewart.me/submittospotify
Be prepared with:
- Show title
- RSS feed
- Territory (USA, etc)
- Where you host your files (places like libsyn, Blubrry, Spreaker, Podbean, etc)
- Visit https://play.google.com/music/podcasts/publish
- Sign in with gmail account
- Submit your RSS feed
For changes to your RSS feed listing with Google, go to https://support.google.com/googleplay/podcasts/contact/podcast_support
Note: Your show must have been publishing regularly for more than 2 months to be considered by iHeart Radio
If you are a libsyn customer (use Promo code FINCON for your first month free), you can submit from inside your account (under Destinations).
If not a libsyn customer, you will need to create a Spreaker account – which can get you into iHeart
Note: You must have been accepted in Apple Podcasts (aka iTunes) first
- Go to BeyondPod’s forums at http://SteveStewart.me/submittobeyondpod
- Post your iTunes URL in the Forum
It's a weird way to submit a podcast, but the only one I know.
- Go to http://SteveStewart.me/submittoplayerfm
- Fill out the name of podcast, homepage, RSS Feed URL
- Write a short message about why your podcast should be in a featured channel
- Include your e-mail address
Note: You must have been listed in Apple Podcasts (aka iTunes) first
- Go to http://SteveStewart.me/submittoradiopublic
- Complete the one-page submission form
You will receive an email and asked to create an account, but you don't have to for your show to be listed.
Search on their free IOS or Andriod app to see if you are listed, or search via a web browser at https://play.radiopublic.com/?search=1
10: Subscribe on Android
• Go to http://subscribeonandroid.com
• Paste your RSS feed into the box
Please be patient as some of these directories take time to respond – and some don't respond at all.
I have found it best to create a list where all my clients have their shows listed.
You may want to create a spreadsheet with the destination and time you submitted, then search their directory a few days later to see if you've been added.
If you want help getting your podcast submitted to the Top 10 Podcast Directories, contact me for a coaching session.